A Universe of Experience
Evans & Sutherland and Spitz pioneered the planetarium and immersive computer graphics fields. We provide engineering, manufacturing, installation, content, and systems integration for dome theaters and immersive classrooms around the world.
World Class Clients
Innovation is in our
First widely used planetarium projector
- Armand Spitz‘s revolutionary Model A1 made the planetarium affordable for schools and museums of all sizes
First graphical computer interface
- Ivan Sutherland invents Sketchpad, considered to be the first computer-aided design (CAD) program – a major breakthrough in the development of computer graphics
Model A3P & “Spitz Classroom”
- The workhorse Spitz A3P went on to become the world’s most popular planetarium projector, with nearly 1,000 installations worldwide
First computer-controlled planetarium
- The Spitz Space Transit Planetarium includes a third axis of rotation and precision planet projector control able to simulate travel away from Earth
First head-mounted VR
- E&S demonstrates virtual reality with a prototype nicknamed Sword of Damocles, in reference to a component suspended somewhat ominously above the operator
First Dome IMAX
- Spitz creates the first dome IMAX theater: a tilted-seating Spitz STS Planetarium which includes a new IMAX dome projector. To this day, IMAX uses exclusively
First animated, textured computer model
- The groundbreaking “E&S Hand” also becomes the first 3D computer graphic shown in a Hollywood movie – 1977’s Futureworld
First digital planetarium
- The E&S Digistar offers the first 3D starfields and complex wireframe animations in a planetarium, launching a revolution in immersive visual display
E&S powers Star Trek II SFX
- Digistar provides tactical bridge displays for USS Enterprise, as well as 3D moving starfields which open and close the film
Powder coated dome
- Becoming the standard for IMAX Domes around the world, Spitz electrostatically applies epoxy powder coating to deliver a perfectly uniform optical finish conventional paint can’t achieve
Digistar 3 transforms planetariums
- E&S debuts the first fully interactive real-time 3D planetarium and fulldome 180 x 360 video projection system
Spitz joins the E&S family
- Evans & Sutherland becomes the first full-capability dome theater provider, delivering inner and outer domes, projection and computing, content, theater design, and integration of all elements
First seamless projection dome
- Spitz ™ is the first projection dome with no folds, overlaps, or irregularities, making seams invisible under projection. Over 200 have since been delivered
DomeX LED dome
- E&S is leading the revolution in shared immersive experience. DomeX provides brightness and contrast far exceeding conventional projection, heightening the sense that You Are There
Cosm Acquires E&S and Spitz
- E&S and Spitz become cornerstones of , a global technology company that enables people to experience entertainment in a new way, across three primary markets: Sports and Entertainment, Science and Education, and Parks and Attractions
Cosm Experience Center
- Experience the CX Diplsay and our complete technology capabilities at the Cosm Experience Center, our demonstration and R&D facility in Salt Lake City
Immersive Experience is Our Passion
Providing design and engineering, imaging and spatial computing, dome screens and architectural domes, Evans & Sutherland is the world’s only turnkey provider of complete dome theaters.
CX Displayꦡ is the evolution of DomeX and is the world’s first Software Defined Display, incorporating a realtime rendering engine, media server, LED processor, multi-feed and 8K video playback, and a best-in-class 8K+ LED display in an end-to-end system.
From single-projector simplicity to multi-projector extreme resolution, Evans & Sutherland projection systems💮 deliver bright, uniform projection for any dome size, budget, or theater configuration.
Evans & Sutherlandꦰ offers the world's most comprehensive for dome theaters. Our experienced team is committed to serving the industry’s diverse content and format needs.
Revolutionary dome incorporating LEDs directly on the display surface. DomeX▨ delivers extremely high resolution, with brightness and contrast levels unmatched by any other display technology.
From single-projector simplicity to multi-projector extreme resolution, Evans & Sutherland projection systemsꦯ deliver bright, uniform projection for any dome size, budget, or theater configuration.
Evans & Sutherland🍷 offers the world's most comprehensive for dome theaters. Our experienced team is committed to serving the industry’s diverse content and format needs.